Education Minister becomes 15th CFL Commissioner?

Canadian Football League Discussion Here

Moderator: ArgoGabe22

GreyCup1971

Education Minister becomes 15th CFL Commissioner?

Post by GreyCup1971 »

Double Blue Daily Facebook group reports:

"I got a call this morning that informed me that the education minister of Ontario Todd Smith resigned from his position yesterday and has accepted the job to be 15th Commissioner of the CFL."
ArgoRavi

Re: Education Minister becomes 15th CFL Commissioner?

Post by ArgoRavi »

GreyCup1971 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:04 am Double Blue Daily Facebook group reports:

"I got a call this morning that informed me that the education minister of Ontario Todd Smith resigned from his position yesterday and has accepted the job to be 15th Commissioner of the CFL."
This seems like a case of adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 8.

Firstly, Randy Ambrosie would need to announce he is stepping down at the end of the season.

Secondly, the CFL's Board of Governors would engage a search committee for such an important position and not just hand it to someone.

Thirdly, Todd Smith's resume hardly screams future CFL commissioner to me but they sure won't just hand him this job regardless.
paulwoods13

Post by paulwoods13 »

When Dan Ralph or Farhan Lalji or Robert Benzie reports this is happening, I'll believe it. When a Facebook poster claims to have been told it in a phone call, I'll shrug.
Will

Post by Will »

Todd Smith was a radio DJ prior to becoming an MPP.
ARGOFanIan

Post by ARGOFanIan »

Lots of important business issues need to be addressed right now... I am not in favor of a commissioner change.. Takes almost a year for a new commish to get up to speed. We are not like the US leagues with tons of money and media attention. The Kelly thing is a drag. Regardless of what the commish does people will be upset. I hope they stay the course for now....
IssuesMcgee

Post by IssuesMcgee »

If this is true, hopefully the new commissioner tosses the stupid last chance agreement Kelly was forced to accept.
AngeloV

Post by AngeloV »

paulwoods13 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:42 pm When Dan Ralph or Farhan Lalji or Robert Benzie reports this is happening, I'll believe it. When a Facebook poster claims to have been told it in a phone call, I'll shrug.
For the record, I was told by a Facebook poster that the league and Kelly came to an agreement late Friday and the announcement would be today. None of the guys you mention had this info.

Mind you, I hope it’s not true. I don’t want any politicians to be league commissioner.
Will

Post by Will »

AngeloV wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:42 pm
paulwoods13 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:42 pm When Dan Ralph or Farhan Lalji or Robert Benzie reports this is happening, I'll believe it. When a Facebook poster claims to have been told it in a phone call, I'll shrug.
For the record, I was told by a Facebook poster that the league and Kelly came to an agreement late Friday and the announcement would be today. None of the guys you mention had this info.

Mind you, I hope it’s not true. I don’t want any politicians to be league commissioner.
Too late, it has already happened, although Tory and Smith held public office after their stint as commissioner.
paulwoods13

Post by paulwoods13 »

https://www.atkinsrealis.com/en/media/t ... 2024-08-30

So the Facebook poster who claimed Ambrosie was going to be replaced by Todd Smith turned out to be wrong. Chronicling Argo comings and goings on a social media platform (which he does a fine job of, for the record) is somewhat different than working sources to uncover news before it is made public.
gilthethrill

Post by gilthethrill »

Will wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:44 pm Todd Smith was a radio DJ prior to becoming an MPP.

You might be thinking of Dr Johnny Fever.