Game Thread: Tiger-Cats at Argonauts

Toronto Argonauts Discussion Here

Moderator: ArgoGabe22

AngeloV

Re: Game Thread: Tiger-Cats at Argonauts

Post by AngeloV »

If I had no dog in the fight, I would say this was a great game. But as an Argos fan, it sucks. I get that the Argos weee torched deep on Labour Day, but personally I would rather take my chances of being beat on more low percentage deep balls, than giving so many easy catches all night.
On offence, they have to use Mital more. He is a beast and not only does he run players over on screens, but also has the ability to be a big target with wheels down field. Sinsani is a back up, nothing more.
Carey must have been injured in the first half. I saw him on the sidelines the 2nd, but not on the field. He was kicking butt, so there can’t be any other reason.
paulwoods13

Post by paulwoods13 »

AngeloV wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:57 pm If I had no dog in the fight, I would say this was a great game. But as an Argos fan, it sucks. I get that the Argos weee torched deep on Labour Day, but personally I would rather take my chances of being beat on more low percentage deep balls, than giving so many easy catches all night.
On offence, they have to use Mital more. He is a beast and not only does he run players over on screens, but also has the ability to be a big target with wheels down field. Sinsani is a back up, nothing more.
Carey must have been injured in the first half. I saw him on the sidelines the 2nd, but not on the field. He was kicking butt, so there can’t be any other reason.
I'm pretty sure Mital had ONE offensive snap after his two catches, which is ridiculous. He's obviously a more useful player than Sindani.

Carey was on the trainer's table two or three times getting what seemed to be a cramp worked on, so hopefully it was precautionary to keep him out of the second half. (Speaking of which, how is it that Argos appear to be the only team in the league without a tent now? MLSE penny-pinching?)

Cage was limping very badly through the game and eventually had to sit, with Hunter bumped out to tackle and Giffen to LG. The o-line's pass-blocking wasn't great all night, IMO, but even moreso after that switch. Given Cage's history and the way he looked last night, I will be shocked if he suits up next week. Mauger was also injured very late, and looked quite pissed off, which might suggest it's something serious.
RB957

Post by RB957 »

Scooter McCray wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am Why was the field so wet tonight? We haven't had rain in weeks.
And is it just me, but was the north end zone not in semi-darkness? It looked like a whole bank of lights on the east side were off.
RB957

Post by RB957 »

paulwoods13 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:58 am Coxie went out of bounds twice on the last possession, then Dinwiddie kept calling pass plays that also stopped the clock. I guess he had so little faith in the D that he felt Argos had to score a TD rather than a FG. There are a lot of reasons why Hamilton won (and deserved to win) the game, but that clock mgmt was atrocious.

Gonna take a miracle to play at home in November, and it's not at all out of the question that Hamilton passes us. Could have all but wrapped up a playoff spot tonight. What a wasted opportunity.
I think Coxie going out of bounds to stop the clock was a bigger factor than calling the pass plays. And yes, many fans leaving the stadium were bemoaning the fact Argos didn't run more, but if Chad Kelly doesn't slip and overthrow that pass, that was an easy TD as the receiver was wide open.

Unlike last week, Argos lost on both sides of the ball with their lines. When we do send extra players in blitz packages, they don't get to the QB in time, which opens up the short throws and provides lots of space for the receivers. Gotta fix that.

Best thing for me last night was I took the TTC instead of GO, so only one black and gold jersey on the bus. I would not have been able to stomach the ride back west with the their fans.
ArgoRavi

Post by ArgoRavi »

paulwoods13 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:05 pm
AngeloV wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:57 pm If I had no dog in the fight, I would say this was a great game. But as an Argos fan, it sucks. I get that the Argos weee torched deep on Labour Day, but personally I would rather take my chances of being beat on more low percentage deep balls, than giving so many easy catches all night.
I'm pretty sure Mital had ONE offensive snap after his two catches, which is ridiculous. He's obviously a more useful player than Sindani.

Carey was on the trainer's table two or three times getting what seemed to be a cramp worked on, so hopefully it was precautionary to keep him out of the second half. (Speaking of which, how is it that Argos appear to be the only team in the league without a tent now? MLSE penny-pinching?)

Cage was limping very badly through the game and eventually had to sit, with Hunter bumped out to tackle and Giffen to LG. The o-line's pass-blocking wasn't great all night, IMO, but even moreso after that switch. Given Cage's history and the way he looked last night, I will be shocked if he suits up next week. Mauger was also injured very late, and looked quite pissed off, which might suggest it's something serious.
I agree with all the above sentiments. Getting Brissett back should only boost this offence further but, yes, Sindani is a useful backup but shouldn't be starting.

I was upset last night but the sun rose this morning and I still believe that the Argos can beat any team in this league, when they're at the top of their game. The offence is looking better every week and hasn't reached its peak yet IMO. The defence has to be more consistent in its play - consistently good that is.

The Argos are exactly where Montreal was a year ago at this time. They still have a chance at a home playoff game but I firmly believe they can win in both Ottawa and Montreal. They have to step their game up a notch starting next week. I am hoping that they can win at least 3 of their final 4 games and head into the postseason with solid momentum.
argosrule1524

Post by argosrule1524 »

If Hamilton ends up passing us for a playoff spot, which by the way they've been playing and how we've been is entirely possible. I think it'll be one of the most demoralizing seasons I've ever witnessed since being a fan. It'll be worse than any playoff game we've lost to them. I know that's no way to think right now, but hope it doesn't happen!!

Redblacks about to lose another game. Another missed opportunity by us to gain ground on them. Frustrating to say the least. Hope we bring our A-game against the Als. We beat them once already, but that was because Fajardo was pulled with an injury.
ArgoRavi

Post by ArgoRavi »

argosrule1524 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:17 pm If Hamilton ends up passing us for a playoff spot, which by the way they've been playing and how we've been is entirely possible. I think it'll be one of the most demoralizing seasons I've ever witnessed since being a fan. It'll be worse than any playoff game we've lost to them. I know that's no way to think right now, but hope it doesn't happen!!

Redblacks about to lose another game. Another missed opportunity by us to gain ground on them. Frustrating to say the least. Hope we bring our A-game against the Als. We beat them once already, but that was because Fajardo was pulled with an injury.
The Argos were also without their starting QB for that entire game.
OV Argo

Post by OV Argo »

Mital should be playing way more IMO; and if Brissett could return I'd go with him and Nield playing lots of reps as well. Ungerer still is reliable for short passes. So they could roll those 4 along with the 3 imports Daniels, Coxie & Polk; and save Coxie for sideline deep shots or 50/50 jump balls when the opportunity is there; his hands are unreliable in traffic IMO. Junk that dumb & risky bubble screen play that a lot of CFL OCs seem to love so much. A power run game accomplishes more than that play that can result in disaster, as in Ottawa.