OUA Football Weekend Observations

Moderator: ArgoGabe22

Scooter McCray

Re: OUA Football Weekend Observations

Post by Scooter McCray »

OV Argo wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:48 pm
ArgoRavi wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:31 pm
AngeloV wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:10 pm

If related, more likely his grandson. Jeff Avery has to be in his 70’s now.
You're right. Where have all the years gone? It seems like just yesterday that Avery was playing for the Rough Riders.

Jeff Avery has been doing Ottawa (Rough Riders thru RedBlacks) football radio color commentary for decades now it seems. Very, very good at it too IMO - well spoken, succinct, breaks down plays and formations. Blows away pretty well all TSN TV guys trying to do the same, but i guess on radio they are not directed to follow their 'game notes" like we have to put up with in the likes of Suitor's boring blather.
Agree he does a great job on radio. TSN 1200 do a fantastic job covering the RedBlacks. 90 minute pre-game show, then Jeff Avery and JJ Jakubec on the game, and then a post game show until callers and texters stop - most nights over 90 minutes again with the pre game hosts. The Argos should have a conversation with MLSE and TSN about doing this with TSN 1050 - I will not be holding my breath because I feel like living.
Jeff also does regular weekly hits on the morning drive show regarding the Redblacks. Like Pete Martin was, Jeff is the head of the Ottawa football alumni. He must be retired now from his financial advisory practice.
Make Clemons President!!!
j-ski

Post by j-ski »

j-ski

Post by j-ski »

The 3DownNation boys are very high on Elgersma. Think he gets drafted in the CFL and my get NFL interest. They are also high on BC Running Back Isaiah Knight . U Sports talk starts around 00:50:45.

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/28/3dow ... -classics/
j-ski

Post by j-ski »

Taylor Elgersma highlights from last week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insfpCkFm0g
OV Argo

Post by OV Argo »

Sounds like quite the game between the 2 Q powerhouses on Saturday - with Laval pulling out a last minute FG win over the Carabins , 23-22. And announced attendance at just under 21,000 - i.e. more fans than witnessed that pathetic Argo performance in Ottawa on the same day. Wish I could have been at that game in Quebec instead of watching that wimpy Argo game in the rain in Ottawa.
shatto

Post by shatto »

Also at the game in the rain! Ottawa dominated both the Argo DL and OL. That has to be a major concern.
shatto

Post by shatto »

I hope the CFL teams give some serious consideration to drafting one or more of the top QBs in U Sport. Senecal, Mont and Elgersma, Laurier head the list but Desjardins, Laval and Tachinski, Man are also good candidates.
j-ski

Post by j-ski »

shatto wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:51 am I hope the CFL teams give some serious consideration to drafting one or more of the top QBs in U Sport. Senecal, Mont and Elgersma, Laurier head the list but Desjardins, Laval and Tachinski, Man are also good candidates.
Keegan Hall from McMaster went 33-44 against Carleton last weekend. He's 6'5'' and 230 pounds. 72.2 % so far
this year. He definitely deserves a CFL shot next year, but as OV Argo reminds us, he probably wont get one.
OV Argo

Post by OV Argo »

shatto wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:51 am I hope the CFL teams give some serious consideration to drafting one or more of the top QBs in U Sport. Senecal, Mont and Elgersma, Laurier head the list but Desjardins, Laval and Tachinski, Man are also good candidates.

Yep - one of the best U Sports draftable QB classes in a long-time (ever?) ; j-ski mentions Mac's Hall and we could throw in StFX's Fagnan as well too = all very successful or good stats QBs and most with either pro plus size or mobility / run threat.

We shall see - I'll bet none of these guys get a real, serious shot from the GOB club; who would rather drag up any Div III or lower resume QBs up here as long as they have the preferred passport and right bubba land training.

The NFL's obvious, blatant prejudice against a certain group/background of QBs did not last forever; the CFL's GOB bias will likely go on unchallenged up here forever - good, polite little Canadian sheep do not want to discuss ... shhhh ...
Scooter McCray

Post by Scooter McCray »

OV Argo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:05 am

Yep - one of the best U Sports draftable QB classes in a long-time (ever?) ; j-ski mentions Mac's Hall and we could throw in StFX's Fagnan as well too = all very successful or good stats QBs and most with either pro plus size or mobility / run threat.

We shall see - I'll bet none of these guys get a real, serious shot from the GOB club; who would rather drag up any Div III or lower resume QBs up here as long as they have the preferred passport and right bubba land training.

The NFL's obvious, blatant prejudice against a certain group/background of QBs did not last forever; the CFL's GOB bias will likely go on unchallenged up here forever - good, polite little Canadian sheep do not want to discuss ... shhhh ...
BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP was a great show. They should bring it back on one of the streaming services.
Make Clemons President!!!