Game Thread: Montreal Alouettes at Toronto Argonauts

Toronto Argonauts Discussion Here
paulwoods13

Re: Game Thread: Montreal Alouettes at Toronto Argonauts

Post by paulwoods13 »

The latest depth chart has every injured player on the six-game. And Daniels, who was on the six last week, is active this week. I heard somewhere that teams are no longer restricted on how many times they can activate a player early. If that is true, it makes sense to put every injured player on the six, just in case the injury lasts long enough to get cap relief. But it would be terribly untransparent for fans (and bettors, but that's another story).
gilthethrill

Post by gilthethrill »

These Montreal Alouettes pack a mighty wallop no doubt, but if the Argos vaunted Defense Line can help take pressure off the 2 CBs, then I expect these same Alouettes will return to Quebec after the game a very sullen contingent.
kellynjk

Post by kellynjk »

Well the Argos defence is looking better tonight (although we're losing 13-6 in the 3rd quarter). But offensively we've looked pretty flat so far. Argos have also taken alot of stupid penalties - 6 for 60 yards, so that's not helping.
Unplayable

Post by Unplayable »

Disappointing but not a surprising loss. Clearly at this point in the season Montreal is ahead of the Argos experience wise and both offensively and defensively.

The Argos rookies will learn from the trick plays hopefully.

The defence was good enough except for the unfortunate and untimely penalties. They were playing off the ball so far that the only hope they had of stopping those short passes was if the QB was wildly inaccurate, which of course he wasn’t. Giving up those short passes only works if you can stop any yards after the catch which for the majority of catches they didn’t. But they did well in controlling the run and not giving up big shots down the field, which Montreal didn’t even need to win this game.

I don’t understand the offensive strategy for this game, but perhaps the coaches knew there was no point in throwing the ball down the field when Dukes couldn’t hit the side of a barn this night.

Once you loose at home, the real season starts. On to away games none of which will be easy. Go Argos!
shatto

Post by shatto »

This game showed where the team needs to improve. Unless a QB can threaten to stretch the defense by throwing downfield, the team's offense is unlikely to rack up many yards. Dukes is a mobile QB who can throw short and medium passes with accuracy but he did not demonstrate tonight, he can throw the long ball. Tonight showed how much the team misses Kelly. The defense did not play badly but there are still questions about the CBs ability to play at this level.
gilthethrill

Post by gilthethrill »

Montreal really had the advantage in the return game. I think Winnipeg knew what they were doing by not retaining Grant, who looks alot like Keith Stokes or any small returner once they turn 30. Fajardos ability to fight off Sacks to extend drives stung. Another huge play when the Argos had them at 2nd & 20 when Antwi pulled that Bogus 1 foot Punt out of the bag which led to a TD in the 3rd. That play has no place in pro football. I know this is an unpopular comment...I like Dukes, but it's evident the team needs Kelly back.

Hopefully there were no injuries from last night and the team can overcome a short week to win (and they should) in Maceville Thursday night.
kellynjk

Post by kellynjk »

Well the Alouettes looked strong (both defensively and offensively) and dominated the Argos the whole game. And Kelly looked abysmal during the Eastern Final last year against Montreal, so I'm not sure he would have been any more effective against them!
Will

Post by Will »

kellynjk wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:45 pm Well the Alouettes looked strong (both defensively and offensively) and dominated the Argos the whole game. And Kelly looked abysmal during the Eastern Final last year against Montreal, so I'm not sure he would have been any more effective against them!
But, he also looked good against them in the 3 regular season games so maybe he is more effective, we'll never know...
ArgoGabe22

Post by ArgoGabe22 »

I guess the GC win and the EF demolition was no fluke.
argolio

Post by argolio »

This game was kind of what I expected. Als are clearly the best team in the league at this point of the season

As for Dukes not taking more shots downfield, looked like there were some plays where he didn't like what he saw and checked down, and other plays where the protection broke down. Als have some serious speed on D.

Now we get to see how the team reacts to some adversity heading into three straight road games.